Sunday, June 17, 2012

Fathers Day 2012...for some peace...others ..no.

I had a great Dad. He died a few years ago. I have many good memories today...wish I could have another coffee with him. I'm drinking an afternoon cup of coffee with his memory now....using his favorite cup. I have no regretful moments with him....none. I have just a longing to hold his hand.....see him pull into my driveway....and hear his laugh....

Recently, we had a man join our 6:00 am Men's Bible Study. He was invited by one of our local sheriffs during a break in court proceedings. He came. The personal issues facing him were huge. It's sufficient to say....huge! During his third meeting with us ....studying the Gospel of John....I had been sharing on the Holy Spirit's love for us. I had some olive oil with me and I asked him if he wanted to be anointed with oil. He said ...yes... so the men joined around him and prayed. He had tears in his eyes and he was more at peace then I remember seeing him. He came two more Wednesday mornings. Two weeks went by and we didn't see him. I got a cell call on Saturday morning...two weeks before today's Fathers Day. This man had hung himself. His son found him. All five of the man's children are numb with grief.

At this point, I have at least 4 more stories to tell about this wrenching and unexplainable story. Someday soon ....maybe....I hope I can tell some of those stories. No story explains the burning unanswered question of this tragedy ....the why? I went to the man's home that day. I offered my best comfort.....God's Word.  I went to the funeral. The grief was thick. The "why" questions persisted. Today is Father's Day. I have great memories of my hero dad. I was there as he passed into God's arms at 87 years old. The children, parents and friends of the man I spoke of.... also have some good memories but they don't have their dad. He is gone too soon...48 years old. Untimely death...gone too soon.

This story is a bit choppy and limited....but it is true....way too true!! If your dad is near....hug him. If he is at a distance...call and speak words of love and appreciation to him. If he is estranged from you....give God a call and see if He can help you to start a healing in the break. God loves healing! If your Dad is gone...hold onto the good....pass on the good....his legacy is alive in you. I will continue to help with the healing in the five children and family I've shared about. I'll need help...I'm confident that there is more to tell... good from evil....healing from pain...light from the dark...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, and to think that just a few short years ago those could have been my children stricken with grief for the rest of their lives if you had not obeyed God and reached out to me in love. Thanks to you, Wildman, I am greeting my children these days with a hug and a kiss when I come home from work. Thank you, Howard!

    I know this story carries much grief and confusion, but I just want to counter that with gratitude from one who decided to stick around. I understand the deception this man acted on and I grieve for his family. It is motivation for me to emulate my heroes and do something to prevent tragedies like these. DFG!

    ReplyDelete